Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hair!

I personally hate going to the salon, and paying almost $800 for bleaching out my hair a color highlights and a trim, when I can do it all at home for under $50! (except the trim).  I have been playing with hair color since I was 13, I actually had highlights in 1994 and everyone at school laughed at me, well guess what? less than a year later everyone had them, and I was laughing at them.  I have no degree in hair, and I really don't want one cause I cannot cut hair to save my life.  Plus I'm happy studying politics :).  So what do I do without breaking the bank? When I get bored I race over to Sally's (about every 2 months).  My hair is really black, so most of the time when I wanna change I go back to black, so I usually end up bleaching the black out.  How I do this, is get a bottle of 40 developer (cream) and any bleaching packet, I also make sure to have gloves, mixing bowl and a brush that applys the bleach.  (As I'm typing this I have bleach on my head and yeah it burns but what can we do).  If your hair is lighter you wouldn't need 40, most likely 30.  Then I pick the color that I like from ION or Wella, these brands are not your hair color in a box color they are what the people at the salon use.  After I bleach out my hair, I wait a few hours and let my scalp relax a bit, take a 10 developer and mix the color and apply it.  I wait 20-30 min and use a ION cream for my dry hair.  I usually wait one or two days before doing the highlights, at this point your scalp is sooooo sensitive that your head will feel like it is on fire and itch so much that you wont be able to take it so if you are doing highlights WAIT! Plus you get a chance to see what people think about your base color.  When doing highlights I get the good old fashioned highlighting cap and pull pieces through.  After that I use the same 40 and bleach and let it sit, and then shower out the bleach.  And use a cream conditioner and let it sit! 
Like I said I'm not a professional I don't have a degree in this, but I have been successful with this and usually after I finish I go trim my hair and the people ask where I got it done.  Also if you are looking just for a simple color, why waste 100 at the salon? Pick up a tube of Wella, and some developer and your set, and save that money! If you can't see or reach behind you have your husband or a friend over for a color party!.  If all else fails and you hate the color just dye it dark and your only out 50 dollars instead of 800!!! :) 

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with this! I always home-dye my hair. Recently, I accidentally used a permanent instead of semi-permanent red dye on my blonde hair, and I thought oh no - now I will have to deal with years of red growing out, or an expensive color removal..

    Well, here in the UK, I found that thankfully we have a product that you apply to your hair that even removes red permanent dye without bleaching your hair! It shrinks the color dye molecules and washes them out, without damaging your hair. Another great way to bring the salon to your home :) I was so thrilled! I'll never be worried to make a mistake again, because for 15 bucks I got what would have cost 100 in a salon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg what is the name of the product I need it for emergencies. Mohair this time didn't come out as well as I wanted but I. Still waiting for the highlights. But the red is too orange. I will change again in a few weeks. I can't imagine salon prices in the UK. My friend went there on a trip and said cheapest place to cut her hair was 65.

    ReplyDelete