Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Class act....

I go to school online, I'm getting a degree in Middle Eastern studies, and since I speak Arabic and my husband is from Saudi I thought it would be a great degree.  I also wanted to take a class about child and infant, and I thought it would be like the one my husband has taken that talks about the womb to the development.  Boy was I wrong.  This class is for "care givers" and day care workers.  And the teacher, to put it nicely is an idiot!!! She gave a situation that a little boy 1 1/2 years old acts out in day care and the day care worker pulls him in an angry manner and puts him in a time out.  All the students are commenting on this is the right thing and the teacher is like "yeah it is", apperantly these people have never had children, I would NEVER let anyone put their hands on my child!!! I wrote how cruel the care giver is and should be fire.  Which everyone said No No I'm wrong.  What do you guys think!? I know this is a fashion blog but I'm so angry that people think like that and they are the people that want to get jobs watching our children!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Ya, no. Coming from someone who used to be an elementary school teacher, touching someone else's child is a lawsuit waiting to happen and is just about the LEAST effective way to change a child's behavior. Are they living in the 70s and not heard about the shift to POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT in the last 15 years?

    Once during college when I was young and naive, I was working as the director of a daycamp. As a punishment, I had a really misbehaved kid do some push-ups and run a lap around the field. Let me tell you, the next day, I was laid into by his mom and was told how I was enacting corporal punishment. Needless to say, I learned my lesson quick.

    The class you are looking for is called "Lifespan Psychology" or something to that degree. I had to take it for nursing but it covered psychological and physical development from conception to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, thank you, cause the teacher made me feel stupid! but I was like don't you think it would be better to show the child how to share and really does a 1 1/2 yr old understand time out? My daughter is 26 months and she would laugh in my face like what are you trying to do mom! You are correct positive reinforcement is what it is all about. You see so many modern day bullies, well those are kids with daycare teachers like these!!! Oh if you had me run a lap in camp I would of made my mom do the same thing hahaha. I went to a sports camp one summer and I spent the whole summer sitting on a bench, granted I did have the cutest sports outfits but God forbid if I got them dirty. HAHA!!! I will look for that class cause this one is just egh I donno! Annoying?!!!

    ReplyDelete