Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hoarders!!! Are you one?

My husband put all the boxes in front of me, that filled up my living room.  He told me nicely "Natalie, nothing will come into this house (new) unless this stuff is put away nicely and most of it should be sold or donated (which I really didn't think a homeless person would care about a denim Louis Vuitton circa 2007 I rather sell it and donate the money)." I broke down in tears!!! But that's the sweater I wore when I was 17 and I had a hot body and that's the pants that I wore when I saw Ricky Martin in concert etc etc.  I thought to myself am I a hoarder?  I always thought I was a deal finder and a collector.
Well, I examined myself (I took a few Psych classes) I remembered when I was 18 that I moved from my moms house to my dads, and that my sister went through my room and threw everything away.  Which I believed started my nightmares that I have once a week about packing and not being able to fit everything in on time.  Then when I was 20 I moved to Arizona, after a few years I went back to D.C. and I left my mom to pack up my townhouse, and she gave away a lot of my stuff and stored the rest in her garage.  After that in 2005 back in AZ my house flooded and I had to stay in a hotel at that time my home was broken into and all my Jewelry, laptops and purses were stolen.  In the mean time the person I was renting the house from decided to sell the house to the lenders without telling me, so everything inside was thrown away! Every time I moved or something happened I felt like I lost apart of me.  So I kept keeping everything.
After my exam of myself, I realized I was a hoarder and there was just too much stuff and no need for them.  They were sitting in boxes, and 90% of them were clothes and I would say 60% has tags on them.       So I went through my stuff, and I found a lot of stuff to sell and donate, but I did find stuff that I really don't want to part with.  Such as the sweater I had on my first date with my husband.  Ticket stubs and other small things like that I decided to do things with.  If you are a hoarder here are some suggestions as what I think I will be doing.
* Go through everything and ask yourself "IS THIS REALLY IMPORTANT, WILL I NEED IT IN 5 YEARS?"
*After going through everything, decide what you want to sell (garage sale) what you wanna put on eBay (cause you really cant sell it for 50 cents it would just break your heart) and what you will donate.
*Agree with yourself that after 2 garage sales that whatever is left will be donated.
*Remind yourself in this process that you can have money for something really great!!!!
*Take things such as that sweater I wore on my first date, first kiss shirt, pieces of your daughters first outfit she wore out and have them made into a quilt, so you will always have them, but they wont be cluttering up your life.
*Take your ticket stubs, Receipts from the dinner you went to on your first valentines and scrapbook them.  Make them just as important as you feel they are and put them all in a book.
*Things like the 5 inch platforms that you loved and vowed to wear till death but you really have no need for them, take a really cool picture of them put it in black and white and frame it, do that with other fun clothing items and decorate your way up your stairs in these pictures, you will always have the memory of the clothes that's the important thing.
*Make a time capsule, even if you don't put it under the ground, get a shoe box and put things in there that you really wanna remember like a Barbie or doll that you know is childish but you love.

I really hope that this will help some of you girls out there, also when you go shopping ask yourself do you really need this even if it is 2 dollars.  Those 2 dollars ad up, and trust me they ad up to something that could be really great in my case those 2 dollars here and there could of bought me a damn Ferrari haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment